The Cisco Nexus 3048 provides the following main benefits:
● Wire-rate Layer 2 and 3 switching
◦ Layer 2 and 3 switching of up to 176 Gigabit per second (Gbps) and more than 132 million packets per second (mpps) in a compact 1RU form-factor switch
● Robust and purpose-built Cisco NX-OS operating system for end-to-end Cisco Nexus fabric
◦ Transparent integration with the Cisco Nexus family of switches to provide a consistent end-to-end Cisco Nexus fabric
◦ Modular operating system built for resiliency
◦ Integration with Cisco Data Center Network Manager (DCNM) and XML management tools
● Comprehensive feature set and innovations for next-generation data centers
◦ Virtual PortChannel (vPC) provides Layer 2 multipathing through the elimination of Spanning Tree Protocol and enables fully utilized bisectional bandwidth and simplified Layer 2 logical topologies without the need to change the existing management and deployment models.
◦ Power On Auto Provisioning (POAP) enables touchless bootup and configuration of the switch, drastically reducing provisioning time.
◦ Cisco Embedded Event Manager (EEM) and Python scripting enable automation and remote operations in the data center.
◦ Advanced buffer monitoring reports real-time buffer utilization per port and per queue, which allows organizations to monitor traffic bursts and application traffic patterns.
◦ The 64-way equal-cost multipath (ECMP) routing enables Layer 3 fat tree designs and allows organizations to prevent network bottlenecks, increase resiliency, and add capacity with little network disruption.
◦ EtherAnalyzer is a built-in packet analyzer for monitoring and troubleshooting control-plane traffic and is based on the popular Wireshark open source network protocol analyzer.
◦ Precision Time Protocol (PTP; IEEE 1588) provides accurate clock synchronization and improved data correlation with network captures and system events.
◦ Full Layer 3 unicast and multicast routing protocol suites are supported, including Border Gateway Protocol (BGP), Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP), Routing Information Protocol Version 2 (RIPv2), Protocol Independent Multicast sparse mode (PIM-SM), Source-Specific Multicast (SSM), and Multicast Source Discovery Protocol (MSDP).
● Network traffic monitoring with Cisco Nexus Data Broker
◦ Build simple, scalable and cost-effective network tap or Cisco Switched Port Analyzer (SPAN) aggregation for network traffic monitoring and analysis.
● 48 fixed 10/100/1000-Mbps Ethernet ports
● 4 fixed Enhanced Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP+) ports
● Locator LED
● Dual redundant power supplies
● Fan tray with redundant fans
● Two 10/100/1000-Mbps management ports*
● One RS-232 serial console port
● One USB port
● Locator LED and button
Support for both forward (port-side exhaust) and reversed (port-side intake) airflow schemes is available.